Sunday, August 2, 2009

Seasons in the Park

Hello,
Leek and I decided to start a food (and everything else) blog in lieu of celebrating our 1.5 years together <3 Unfortunately I had the wisdom teeth on the left side of my mouth taken out on Friday, so my meals as of the last couple of days includes mush and we did not have the opportunity to go eat out. Instead our first blog post will be of my birthday dinner which my sweetie Leek had planned so nicely for me~!


Seasons in the Park is located in Queen Elizabeth Park (Main Street and West 33rd Avenue), near The Bloedel Conservatory and the fountains. We made reservations for 5:30 that evening as we wanted to take advantage of their Sunset menu which is only available Monday to Thursday from 5:30-6:00pm.

When we arrived, we were greeted, then told to wait for our server in the lobby. I thought this was an unnecessary overlay considering the restaurant was practically empty (except for a few patrons on the patio and many employees). After being seated outside, we were given menus and ordered drinks. Boyfriend and I are easy to please, we do not drink alcohol so we stuck to Coke and Sprite.


Soon after our drinks came, we were served bread and butter. No, we were not only served two slices of bread, we just so happened to forget to take a picture of it before munching down (we were starving)! The bread was warm so it was easy to spread the butter over it and watch it melt. Delicious.


The Sunset menu ($25) starts off with a Mixed Seasonal Greens appetizer. However, because neither Leek or I eat salads, we had the salad packed to go (for my family) and instead ordered the Grilled Calamari Steak on the side ($13). The steak was absolutely yummy. But, I did find the warm Sicilian caponata stuffing to be a little too sweet. Even though we ordered it to share, the chef was nice enough to split the dish into two plates so we did not have to make a mess of ourselves!


Next came the entree. For the choice of entrees on the Sunset menu, you can choose between the Seafood Bouillabaisse (which I had, above) or the Grilled 7 oz Sirlion Steak (which boyfriend had, below). The bouillabaisse definitely had quite a few pieces of seafood and potatoes, and an abundance of onions. By the time I finished the dish, it still looked half full because of the amount of onions piled up in the broth (I do not like onions, so I tend not to eat them).


Boyfriends dish looks very meaty, however, when I tasted the glaze, yuck. To me, the glaze tasted like thick burnt soy sauce! I guess that means I should stay away from bourbon green peppercorn demi-glace upon all future meetings. Leek liked it quite a bit though, and managed to finish the whole plate by himself!


Last but not least, our dessert came! We were served their Double Belgian Chocolate Truffle and Fudge Cake. It tasted as rich as it looked. Even though boyfriend does not like chocolate, he managed to polish off the whole slice of cake himself! I do not know if he did it for me, but either way it made me so proud of him! It was the first time I have seen him taking in such a large amount of chocolate without me having to force him!


Overall the dinner was very nice. Plus, we had a very pretty view of the park and the city. I think overall including tax and tips and our pop and bottled water, we paid about $85. It was a very nice dinner, thank you honey ~<3

No comments:

Post a Comment